All Aboard!

Sunlake High School’s Winter Movie Night

Noah+Downey+%28left%29%2C+Mollie+Gilmore+%28Middle%29%2C+and+Brady+Noel+%28Right%29+having+fun+at+winter+movie+night.+

Isabella Gray

Noah Downey (left), Mollie Gilmore (Middle), and Brady Noel (Right) having fun at winter movie night.

Isabella Gray, Staffer

December is the time of year most noted for the holidays that take place during that time. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, and so much more. In spirit of the holidays, Sunlake High School holds a winter formal also known as Snowco. Similar to the week of Homecoming, there are dress up days like pajama day and flannel day as well as a fun event. Friday December 9th, Sunlake had a winter movie night on the football field where students enjoyed watching the Polar Express with their friends.

“I think it’s just a fun way to celebrate the holiday and bring the kids together in a different kind of atmosphere,” said English and Creative Writing teacher Ms. O’Nolan. “You know, having nice weather, which is usually hot in Florida and being able to come together, the hot chocolate everything, just being festive.”

According to senior Sarai Johnson this year’s turn out was much less than past years but that doesn’t mean that students didn’t have fun. “I’m here because I’m a senior and it’s my last year,” Sarai said. “So of course I want to join acting and music stuff so that’s why I’m here. I wanted to be like ‘hey, this is my last movie night of the year’ so I want to be here and enjoy the night.”

Other students such as sophomore Anayah Townsend came to hand out with friends as well as see the Polar Express.”It’s been a while since I’ve seen it,” Anayah said. “I love it, it’s my favorite Christmas movie.”

“I’ve seen it [the Polar Express] a couple of times,” said freshman Cali Thornton. “I’ve actually never watched it all the way through because when I was a kid I didn’t like it.”

Sophomore Mollie Gilmore said she also likes the movie and has seen it before. Other crowd favorite Christmas movies include the Grinch and Elf. Overall, the students enjoy hanging out with friends and getting into the holiday spirit during this wonderful time of year.

“It’s fun! I think the kids like it so, you know all the little things we can do here and there just to make everyone have a good time,” said Ms. O’Nolan.

Katarina Contrabasso (left) and Aaliyah Vargas (right) at winter movie night. (Isabella Gray)

Logan Kallish (left) and Zoe Bastable (right) watching the Polar Express at winter movie night. (Isabella Gray)