Road to States

Noah Sagnip

Senior Captain Isabella Wood at the district final game versus Land O Lakes.

Gabriela Carrioni, Staffer

The Sunlake Highschool’s girls soccer team has excelled in their 2022-2023 season. The team holds a record of 12 wins, 2 losses, and 3 ties. This is the first time that the girls soccer team has made it past the regional quarterfinals in school history, and they are on the road to states. Senior captain Isabella Wood has been playing soccer for 14 years, and has been a varsity player since she was a freshman. Bella says that if she had to describe the team, she would “describe it as an absolute unit. The talent on this year’s team is amazing. The chemistry on and off the field is amazing. We have some of the best players in the state on this team!” Bella is on the path to college recruitment and feels that the Sunlake soccer team has helped her in ways she never would have imagined; “My season has been absolutely amazing. I love getting to play with all of my best friends and playing the sport I love.” When asked how she feels about playing school soccer as opposed to club soccer, Bella said “I feel like in school soccer the ball has more freedom.  We can joke around and be funny but when it is time to be serious we are serious. I think club ball is more strict and judgmental in everything you do, so there is a big difference.” She thinks that the team could go all the way next year. The regional finals against Sunlake’s rival, Land O Lakes high school, is what follows. Bella thinks the girls have what it takes and just “need to get emotions in check and finish them once and for all.”