Party in CNA

Erin Feeney, senior, next to a CPR practice dummy in the CNA classroom.

Ben Hock, Staffer

Sunlake offers a CNA program for students who want to enter the medical field, whether it be as a nurse, doctor or other role. CNA stands for certified nursing assistant.  Senior Erin Feeney participates in the CNA program here at school. In the program students get to practice what being a medical professional/nurse is like. Erin describes it by saying “we learn skills in class that we take to the hospital and nursing home. we help take care of the patients during clinicals to get a real feel of what a nurse does.” The experience they gain during this program is vital in becoming a nurse in the future. This experience helps prepare these students for clinicals which involves many hours of supervised patient interactions in a variety of areas and cases. Clinicals are required to go into nursing. Erin says0 “I have learned how a hospital operates as well as the skills needed to become a CNA, I want to become a travel nurse because then I would be able to see the world while also helping people. I really enjoyed the class and think it’s a great opportunity for students to get a head start on their lives outside of high school!”

Erin Feeney, senior, (left) and Trinity (right) practicing nursing in the CNA classroom.